Patent FAQ

Does an applicant have to file a petition for a license with a new patent application to obtain a foreign filing license?

  • If an expedited decision is not needed, the mere filing of a provisional, design, utility or PCT (in the US receiving office) is considered a petition for a foreign filing license. See 37 CFR 5.12(a).
  • If expedited processing is required, then a separate petition must be submitted to L&R pursuant to 37 CFR 5.12(b).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *